Technical Writer and Trainer in Australia
Why did an Environmental Design graduate decide to pursue a career in professional speaking and training? (I speak about this in some of my keynote speeches).
As I worked towards growing my public speaking business in recent years, I worked extensively as a Technical Writer in construction, mining and oil and gas industries in Western Australia.
Whether I was working offshore on a rig or coordinating photo shoots on site in Port Hedland, I learnt invaluable skills from my work colleagues and my technical writing experiences inspired me to confidently publish my first children’s book.
*Resource and engineering companies I was employed by from 2012 – 2015: Davis Langdon, AECOM, Asset Management Engineers (AME), ConocoPhillips, WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff and Roy Hill Holdings.
Today, whilst I work on my own publishing projects, I still enjoy helping different businesses to write better. I also hold a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment which helps me customise training workshops and material for the people I work with.
*Referees for project-specific examples on request.
Document Design and Development
- Research, write, proofread and produce documents for publication (hard or soft copy) e.g. bids, tenders, grant applications, brochures, newsletters, media releases, fact sheets, procedures, reports, execution plans etc.
- Create, update and distribute document templates and standards for multiple users.
- Create, update and distribute flowcharts for project or corporate processes.
Training Design and Development
- Collaborate with clients or subject matter experts (SMEs) to create content for training including presentations, handouts and videos.
- Design and develop learning programs and session plans.
- Create training material that addresses adult language, literacy and numeracy requirements.
- Facilitate quality assurance review processes.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts (SMEs) to manage content updates and revision history for documents.
- Create and update document drives and registers for storage.